American BJDs

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group to share our collections, photos, stories and ideas on ALL Ball Jointed Dolls.

Heyla and well met!

TheKeeper

Heyla and well met! Empty Heyla and well met!

Post  TheKeeper Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:26 pm

Heyla and well met!

I'm TheKeeper, and I ran into this forum by accident. I'm glad I did, though, because I've been bursting with the need to talk about my very first doll, which I got last Thursday, on July 22, 2010, at the San Diego Comic-Con. Until last week, I've only read about BJD's, and I had actually tried to buy one, a few months back. Unfortunately, I had a devil of a time seraching for a dark skinned doll, especially since it seems that each mould has its own name that doesn't say anything about its skin color. So, imagine my surprsie when, searching the floor of the Comic-Con, I run into Mrs. Goodreau's booth and spot her 16/17" vinyl doll, Mirror. I was absolutely thrilled, even more so when I discovered that she looked remarkably like me (at least, back when I was a lot lighter in weight; younger, too, as the resemblence is even stronger when comparing her to my childhood pictures). I had to have her, but my husband was a little doubtful about spending $80 on a doll. So... we made a bet, so to speak. If I can crank out at least one page of comics with 6 panels by August 25, I don't owe him a thing. But if I can't, then I owe him $80. Well, I needed a motivator, anyhow, to get cracking on a few web comics I've been planning, so I took the bet, and came home with my first ever, brand new BJD, who I've named Kyouko, which is Japanese for Mirror. (The name seemed so appropriate, considering the resemblence to me and how we seemed to just instantly bond. She really doesn't like to be left by herself, and I don't like to go anywhere without her, at this point in time.)

I have to say that I'm quite happy to have Kyouko. I've always had a love for dolls, but I had to leave my doll collection in the Philippines, when we returned to the states when I was 17. At age 29 and more than settled in my Californian home, Kyouko is actually the first doll I've had in years, and she's beautiful. I've decided, in celebration of having adopted her, that the comic I'm going to draw is going to feature her, in a way, a story that was actually inspired by a costume I'm planning for next year's Comic-Con, in which Kyouko will definitely be playing a big part.

Anyhow, I know I have a tendency to write mini novels in forum posts, so I'll just end here with, "I'm very glad to be an official part of the BJD community!"

TheKeeper

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:42 pm